October 5, 2006 5:59 AM
How Can I Improve My Credit Score?
In short, it takes time and patience to fix credit card problems.
From In short, it takes time and patience to fix credit card problems….:
Potential ways to improve your credit score:
– Don’t try to “quick fix” your credit overnight. You could end up hurting your score. For example, your score may go down if you cancel a credit card that you have had a long time.
– Don’t pay someone to “fix” your credit history. Some credit repair firms promise, for a fee, to get accurate information taken out of your credit report. Accurate information cannot be deleted from your credit report. Some credit repair firms promise to “fix” your credit report by challenging information in it. They charge you a fee to do that. This is something you can do for yourself without paying the fee.
– Create a plan to improve your credit over time. Pay your bills on time. Pay at least the minimum balance due, on time, every month. If you cannot make a payment, talk to your creditor. Work to reduce the amount you owe, especially on revolving debt accounts like credit cards.
– Limit the number of new credit accounts you apply for. Several applications for credit in a short period of time will usually lower your credit score.
– Keep at it. Your credit history will improve over time if you make changes now and continue to improve. If you manage your credit better, your credit score will improve over time.
01/31/07 | When It Is OK To Use Credit Card To Pay Off Home Equity Loan
01/09/07 | How To Negotiate A Lower Credit Card Rate
01/02/07 | 2007 Credit Card Trends
11/15/06 | Featured Card: Citi Driver’s Edge Platinum Select Card
10/27/06 | OptionXpress Offers Affiliated Credit Card
10/27/06 | American Express Launches Event Ticket Protection Plan
10/22/06 | How To Close Credit Card Properly?
10/20/06 | Kiplinger: Best Credit Card Choice In Every Category
10/20/06 | How Corporate Credit Card Can Hurt Your Credit Score
10/14/06 | How Many Credit Cards Should You Have?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: Who Can Look at Your Credit Report?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Information Is Included In A Credit Report?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Promotional Inquiry?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Security Freeze?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Soft Inquiry?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Loan-to-Value Ratio (LTV)?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is A Hard Inquiry?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Fraud Alert?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA)?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Fair Credit Reporting Act?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Credit Reporting Company?
10/11/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Co-Signer?
10/10/06 | Key Benefits Of Frequent Flier Credit Cards
10/10/06 | Things To Look For In Student Credit Cards
10/10/06 | What’s The Difference Between Unsecured And Secured Credit Card?
10/10/06 | Use Secured Credit Card To Establish Good Credit History
10/10/06 | How To Rebuild Poor Credit? Things To Do And Not To Do
10/06/06 | Credit Card Delinquency At Its Lowest Since 1994
10/06/06 | GE Retail Consumer Finance Issues ShopNBC MasterCard
10/05/06 | Types Of Credit Card Fees: More Than You Can Imagine
10/05/06 | One Card, Multiple APRs
10/05/06 | How Long Is The Credit Card Grace Period?
10/05/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is A Good Insurance Credit Score?
10/05/06 | What Is “Credit Scoring”?
10/05/06 | How Many Credit Cards Do You Really Need?
10/03/06 | Good Credit Behavior Has Long Shelf Life
10/02/06 | Now All Secured Cards Help Credit Rebuilding
10/02/06 | Paying Back Credit card Balance In Small Chunks Does Not Help Credit Score
10/01/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Garnishment?
10/01/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Obsolete Information?
10/01/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is FICO Score?
10/01/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Discretionary Income?
10/01/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Credit File?
09/28/06 | Best Buy Reward Zone MasterCard
09/25/06 | How Is VantageScore Determined?
09/25/06 | How To Dispute A Credit Card Charge?
09/21/06 | Credit FAQ: What Is Cash Advance?
09/21/06 | Credit FAQ: What Are Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS)?
09/20/06 | Featured Card: Citi mtvU Visa Card for College Students
09/20/06 | Featured Card: Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
09/20/06 | Featured Card: Discover Platinum Clear Card
09/20/06 | Featured Card: American Express Blue Cash for Business Credit Card
09/19/06 | Merchant-Specific Credit Card Reward Gets Trendy
09/15/06 | Walmart To Enter China’s Credit Card Market
09/14/06 | Why Credit Scores Are Important
09/14/06 | How to Raise Your Credit Score
09/13/06 | What Should You Do If Your Credit Card Is Lost Or Stolen?
09/13/06 | Should You Sign On The Back of Your Credit Card?
09/13/06 | Use Credit Card To Make Downpayment
09/12/06 | How To Use A Credit Card To Establish Good Credit?
09/11/06 | New MasterCard Aims For The Riches
09/08/06 | Bad Credit Can Cost You A Dream Job
09/05/06 | How Can You Manage Your Credit Wisely?
09/04/06 | Alarming Credit-Card Tricks #1 – Applying for a Mortgage? We’ll Bump Up Your APR
09/04/06 | Earn 20%, Guaranteed
09/04/06 | The Best Cash-Back Credit Cards
09/04/06 | How To Maximize Your Credit Card Rewards
09/04/06 | What Is Two-Cycle Billing?
08/29/06 | Pay The Minimum On Credit Card Bills Will Cost You (A Lot)
08/26/06 | Credit Card Protection Plan? Better Not!
08/23/06 | SmartMoney: 10 Things Your Credit Card Company Won’t Tell You
08/22/06 | Citigroup Reduces Cashback Incentive
08/21/06 | Featured Card: One from American Express
08/21/06 | Featured Card: CitiBusiness PremierPass Card
08/20/06 | Credit Card Sales is Growing Rapidly
08/15/06 | Credit Card May Be Refused in the UK
08/14/06 | Contactless Payments
08/14/06 | Reward Plan Downgrade at Amex
08/14/06 | 4 Ways to Snag the Best Reward Card